Sunday 15 January 2017

UK: Oldies vs Newbies

The veterans of UK Grime/Rap music are people like Giggs, Skepta, Wiley, Dizzee Rascal, among others who laid the blueprints for many people after them to follow and have a platform that the UK was previously missing. People like Krept & Konan, Bugzy Malone, Chip and others took and made use of this but recently my attentions being drawn to people like:

 
67
MoStack











J Hus
 Mist










I've read comments about them and on their videos and noticed that people glorify their music like it's the best thing to come out of the UK. I needed some time to process this, have people just forgotten about the OG's? Dizzee, Giggs, Wiley, have they just forgotten about the founders of the UK grime and rap. I know that just because they did it first it doesn't mean they are better but does 'Boy In Da Corner' or 'Playtime Is Over' mean nothing to these people!?

I've noticed a transition in rap music in general that all people care about is a good beat and a catchy title. Real bars and a message or story doesn't count for much any more. I feel this new generation of UK rappers are lacking exactly that, bars and a story. Some have one of these but can't combine the two together which is why, for me, they can't be compared with the likes of Kano and Wiley.

The quality of music from the UK is slowly getting poorer in my opinion. It seems like an artist has a new video and track on GRM Daily or Link Up TV EVERYDAY. It's like they will make a half complete track and just let it out , on the production side or artists side.

A lot of listeners are quite young however and the veterans, as mentioned, may have been too soon for a lot of these. I'm a young adult myself, but I'm aware that other young adults may not have give some of these artists enough time to resonate with them. All they know is these new artists and their music.

There are a few rappers that still keep this torch alight however, like Dave, Wretch 32, Krept & Konan as well as some others.

This is kind of similar to my 'Is it all hype?: XXXTENTACION' post not too long ago, be sure to give that a read.

No comments:

Post a Comment